Written by Stefanie Gray
Promotions for Black Friday and Cyber Monday are already in the can as the two big selling days are only a week away. However, there is still plenty of opportunity to deliver creative shopping incentives for the remaining 24 days before Christmas.
According to a recent NRF survey, almost 75% of shoppers said that sales or discounts are the most important factor in deciding where to shop this holiday season. Playing off of the song “The Twelve Days of Christmas,” a series of fun holiday promotions that a retailer can deliver to customers subscribed to their SMS marketing list is “The 12 Days of Deals.” A mobile coupon deals promotion that runs 12 consecutive days has the potential to:
- Keep the retailer in front of mind,
- Entertain and engage existing customers, and
- Increase the number of new subscribers to the retailer’s SMS marketing list.
In addition to delivering traditional offers such as 10% off of a consumer’s entire purchase or 20% off of a single item, the retailer has the opportunity to deliver creative mobile coupon deals. For example, consumers can receive a mobile promotion that contains:
- A coupon code for a free beverage giving the consumer a moment to relax during a busy shopping spree. The offer can be good for that shopping trip only or available to be used anytime during the holiday season.
- Free two-day shipping for their next online purchase. According to the NRF survey, almost half of all shoppers will spend some time online either gathering gift ideas or making a purchase.
- An offer to match a consumer’s monetary gift to a local charity. The text message will contain a link that the consumer can click. After clicking the link, the consumer will view a mobile web page providing the consumer with an option to make a $1, $5 or $10 donation. The retailer can even report back on the total amount donated thanks to the collective generosity of all of their customers.
- A discount for downloading the retailer’s mobile app.
- An additional discount on post-Christmas purchases when consumers are in the store exchanging gifts – a surprise 13th Day of mobile promotion Deals!
The more creative the promotion, the more engaged the consumer. Increased engagement will drive more people to subscribe to the mobile marketing program, a win-win for both the retailer and the consumer.
Click on 8 Ways to Drive In-store Mobile Engagement for more information on creative ways to engage with consumers using mobile.